Wawel Cathedral, Krakow

4.6
Once the site of royal coronations, Wawel Cathedral represents one of Poland's most significant religious and architectural sites. Two previous buildings burned down here before the church was erected more than nine centuries ago. The present-day cathedral, a Gothic structure, features several chapels built in different architectural styles. As you enter, notice the chain hanging to the left of the main iron door. Made of prehistoric animal bones, this chain is known for having magical powers that ensure the continued presence of the cathedral. To learn more about the large collection of sarcophaguses and altarpieces, take a guided tour. Plan to visit Wawel Cathedral during your Krakow vacation using our convenient Krakow travel route planner.
Create an itinerary including Wawel Cathedral
map
© OpenMapTiles © OpenStreetMap contributors
Wawel Cathedral Reviews
Rate this attraction
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating 4.5
5,773 reviews
Google
4.7
TripAdvisor
  • This was a great visit. The aidioguide is a must, is not expensive and guides u perfectly through the cathedral. It is really Interesting because you get to know a lot about the history of poland and....  more »
  • Not religious but this is an amazing place to see. The detail is amazing. You can see 90% for free; the charge for the other 10% is fine if you wish to see one or two tombs.  more »
Google
  • The cathedral is wonderfully maintained and absolutely gorgeous! I'd recommend anyone to go here even if you're not religious or a big fan of churches. I had a wonderful time.
  • This is an amazing set of buildings, built on a hill and overlooking the river on one side and the city on another. The weather was being kind for once and blue skies made the photos come out even more beautiful.
Places to stay near Wawel Cathedral

Plan your trip to Krakow

  • Get a personalized plan

    A complete day-by-day itinerary
    based on your preferences
  • Customize it

    Refine your plan. We'll find the
    best routes and schedules
  • Book it

    Choose from the best hotels
    and activities. Up to 50% off
  • Manage it

    Everything in one place.
    Everyone on the same page.

Popular things to do in Krakow

View all ›
4.4
Duration:3​h
4.8
Duration:1​h 30​min
4.9
Duration:3​h
4.9
Duration:8​h

Side trips from Krakow

4.3
Duration:3​h
4.0
Duration:2​h

Historic Sites in Krakow

View all ›
4.8
Duration:1​h 30​min
4.5
Duration:2​h 30​min
4.3
Duration:1​h

Hidden gems in Krakow

4.9
Duration:1​h 30​min
4.9
Duration:1​h 30​min
4.2
Duration:1​h 30​min

Museums in Krakow

View all ›
4.9
Duration:2​h 30​min
4.5
Duration:1​h 30​min
4.2
Duration:1​h 30​min

Nearby attractions in Krakow

4.9
Duration:4​h
4.9
Duration:2​h 30​min
4.1
Duration:2​h 30​min
4.7
Duration:30​min
4.7
Duration:8​h
4.7
Duration:8​h
4.0
Duration:1​h 30​min